Applicants must contact the Executive Director at least one week prior to the application deadline to review eligibility requirements and be invited to apply.
Elements for Consideration
Applications are encouraged which reflect an identified need in the community, impact a significant number of people and/or priority populations, build effective community partnerships, improve the quality of life in Greater Saint John and plan for sustainability of the initiative/project beyond initial funding.
Consideration will be given to initiatives/projects that relate to the Community Foundation's key funding priorities.
Grants are available for capital equipment and small-scale capital projects that have a defined time frame within the granting period.
We do not fund large-scale capital projects (new building construction and significant structural renovations), ongoing operational requirements for a charity, such as rent and salaries and multi-year funding (see full list below).
We do fund innovative projects and initiatives that are led by qualified donees to enhance the quality of life in Greater Saint John.
Organizations are asked to discuss their project proposal with the Executive Director of The Community Foundation in advance of submission to ensure the project is properly aligned with goals of the Community Foundation’s granting program.
Grants will not be awarded to:
· Support multi-year funding beyond the annual granting period
· Ongoing operational expenses such as a charity’s rent and salaries
· Support large-scale, long-term capital construction projects (new building construction and significant structural renovations)
· Support any ongoing fundraising activities, including annual fund drives and capital campaigns
· Cover deficits or retire debts
· Provide endowment funds
· Support sectarian, religious, or political purposes
· Provide retroactive funding for project expenses incurred prior to approval of the proposal by the Community Foundation's Board of Directors
· Fund league or club-based sports programs.
· Fund projects for which the applicant has sufficient resources
· Organizations that are not qualified donees
· Fund projects that impact residents outside of Greater Saint John
Please contact the Executive Director with any questions regarding eligibility.
Successful applicants will sign a grant contract that outlines the grantee's commitment to the following:
- To recognize the Foundation for this grant.
- Spending the funds for the intended purposes.
- Accounting for the grant and any changes.
- Returning any unused funds to the Foundation.
Grantees are asked to complete an evaluation report. Completing this report is a necessary step and is considered in relation to any future applications.