Julia Pauline Wilson was born in Charleston, South Carolina in 1888 to Saint John natives Alexander St. John and Mary Jane (Quinlan) Wilson, of Salmon River. She went to boarding School at Holy Heart in the Miramichi. As a young girl she studied piano and voice. In 1912, Julia married John Alphonsus Barry.
John A. Barry was born in 1883, and grew up on Waterloo St. He went to St. Joseph’s in Memramcook and obtained a degree in Arts. From there, he studied law, receiving a Bachelor of Common Law and then, a Masters of Arts degree from King’s College in Halifax. In 1907, he opened his law office on Prince William St., where he practiced until being named a Judge of the County Court in 1923. He was named Deputy Judge of the Admiralty Court in 1945.
Constance and Geraldine Barry have entrusted the Judge John A. and Julia P. Barry Fund to the Greater Saint John Community Foundation in memory of their parents. It will benefit a wide variety of charitable causes in Greater Saint John.
Click here for more information.