Saint John Arts Centre FundRead More
Walter and Joan Flewelling were lifelong residents and enthusiastic supporters of Greater Saint John. They were married fifty-six years and raised a family of four: Barbara, now deceased, Gordon, Richard and Stephen. They have ten grandchildren and nine great grandchildren. They shared with them their keen interest in community involvement, post-secondary education and healthcare.
The couple were dedicated members of the Church of The Good Shepherd. Both served on vestry and as senior wardens. Joan was an active member of the Choir and Altar Guild, as well as the International Order of Kings Daughters and Sons. Their love of salmon fishing led to many happy times at Stoney Run. Curling at Thistle St. Andrews Curling Club and golfing at the Westfield Golf and Country Club kept the family busy and led to many hours of volunteer service. Joan was a Past Ladies President of the Westfield Golf and Country Club, and a member of the Probus Club.
Walter’s success as a business leader took root early. As a young teenager, he was a self-starter, delivering papers and selling magazines. He ran his own business even before he graduated from Saint John Vocational School. The self-styled graduate of “the University of Hard Knocks” later pursued studies at the University of Western Ontario. During his food industry career he served in many capacities in senior management, becoming President in 1980 of The Willett Fruit Company Ltd.; later known as the Food Group, which included the Village Food stores.
He brought a business perspective, leadership and active participation to many community organizations such as the Saint John Board of Trade, the Fundy Region Development Commission, the Economic Development Council, the Canadian Fruit and Vegetable Association and Enterprise Saint John.
He brought dedicated and long service to The Carleton Union Lodge #8; was past Potentate of the Luxor Temple Shriners and a board member of the Montreal Children’s Hospital for eight years.
The Maritime Golf Association, the Hampton Fishing Club, the Cliff Club, the Mayor’s Task Force, the Union Club, the Lancaster Golden Service Club, Cedar Hill Cemetery Board of Directors, the Advisory Committee of the Dean of UNB-Saint John’s Business Faculty and a UNBSJ Education Committee also benefited from his commitment . The Miramichi Salmon Association made him a life member.
Ardent advocates for a Saint John University, the Flewellings were cognizant of its critical value to community development and need to achieve excellence. They admired the strength of local support for UNB Saint John and had a keen interest in the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) program. The Flewellings established a fund in 2008, which will award annual scholarships at the Saint John Campus of the University of New Brunswick for graduate students enrolled at UNBSJ in a MBA program. It is based on the successful student demonstrating a combination of academic excellence and involvement in extracurricular and community affairs.
Walter and Joan Flewelling were lifelong residents and enthusiastic supporters of Greater Saint
John. Their fund will award a scholarship to a student studying at UNBSJ in the MBA program.
Centenary-Queen Square United Church was a congregation in the heart of Saint John’s historic uptown. The Church occupied its location on Princess Street since 1939 – with a capacity for upwards of 1400 worshippers each week.
As the years passed and the nature of the congregation continued to change, the decision was made in 2013 to dissolve the congregation. Knowing that the burial ground would require ongoing care and maintenance, the congregation of the Church established a named fund with The Community Foundation.
The earnings from this fund are granted to the Trustees of the Wesleyan Burial Ground annually. Funds are used for the upkeep and administration of various grounds within the cemetery including; lawns, trees, shrubbery, drains, roadways, paths, gates, buildings, and monuments – among other items – on the burial ground site.
By entrusting these funds with the Community Foundation, those close to the Church are reassured that there will be revenue to ensure the respect and dignity of Wesleyan Burial Ground for years to come.
Since its beginnings in the early 1800s, aviation has evolved a great deal in Canada. In fact, Saint John played a significant role in the growth of Canada’s aviation heritage. Canada’s first manned balloon aircraft flight took place in Saint John in 1840. As manned flight continued to grow, Saint John remained at the forefront. New Brunswick’s first airplane flight also happened in Saint John in 1912.
As the industry began to change and grow, the innovation from the Greater Saint John area continued – with the inventor of the electric variable pitch propeller, the late W. Rupert Turnbull, hailing from Rothesay, and the founder of Canada’s largest aircraft flight simulator company, the late Wing Commander (ret’d) Ken Patrick, from Saint John.
It is because of this connection to the aviation community that the Turnbull (NB) Chapter of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society established The Turnbull (NB) Chapter of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society Fund with The Community Foundation.
The Turnbull Chapter plans to use monies raised from this Fund for its own educational awards.
In 2013, the Turnbull (NB) Chapter created the Wade-Myles Bursary. Named for two prominent members of the Saint John aviation community; Captain Jimmy Wade, BEM (British Empire Medal) and Flight Lieutenant Jack Myles, DFC (Distinguished Flying Cross).
One award will recognize the 410 City of Saint John Squadron, RCAF. The Squadron was adopted by the City of Saint John in 1944. In 2012, the City of Saint John renewed its affiliation with our Squadron and granted it the Freedom of the City of Saint John. This Squadron is nicknamed “The Cougars.”
As the Fund grows, the Turnbull (NB) Chapter will give other awards; one for former students of the M. Gerald Teed Memorial School as well as an award named for the late Don McClure. McClure served with the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War, and later operated the Moncton Flying Club. He was one of the founders of the Turnbull (NB) Chapter and a long-time advocate for the Royal Canadian Air Cadet movement in New Brunswick.
The Fund has been established by the members and supporters of the Turnbull (NB) Chapter, and will support the educational work of the Chapter, as well as interest in the aviation industry in Greater Saint John, and throughout New Brunswick, for years to come.
Thomas L. McGloan was the son of the late Thomas Louis McGloan Q.C. and Eileen McGloan (nee O’Regan). A devoted citizen of Saint John, Tom graduated from St. Vincent’s High School in 1948, St. Francis Xavier University in 1952 and The Law School of The University of New Brunswick in 1955.
Mr. McGloan was a senior partner in Gilbert McGloan and Gillis, where he practiced corporate and commercial law for over 50 years, having followed in the footsteps of his father, T. Louis McGloan Q.C. He was admitted to the New Brunswick Bar in 1955 and appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1973. He served as Chairman of the Board of G.E. Barbour Inc. and as Honourary Consul of Finland for New Brunswick.
He served in The Canadian Armed Forces Naval Reserve from 1951-1982 and was Commanding Officer, HMCS Brunswicker from 1969-1971, retiring with the naval rank of Captain. Mr McGloan has had a life-long affinity for the sea.
Mr. McGloan’s quiet, effective commitment to dozens of community organizations with no expectation of personal gain made him an ideal candidate for recognition and appreciation. He was awarded the Community Service Award from The Greater Saint John Community Foundation in 2005 in recognition of outstanding community service. His contributions to the legal community, the Port of Saint John, Uptown Saint John, the construction and completion of local landmarks like The Saint John Harbour Bridge, Market Square and The Imperial Theatre were significant.
His expertise added value to the work of The New Freeman, the Victorian Order of Nurses and The Saint John Development Corporation. He has been awarded Finland’s Order of The White Rose. He was conferred an Honourary Doctorate from The University of New Brunswick-Saint John posthumously in 2005.
The Thomas L. McGloan, Q.C. Fund recognizes Mr. McGloan’s outstanding contributions to the
construction and ongoing operation of The Saint John Harbour Bridge, as well as his exemplary community service. He and his wife, Marilyn, always made family a priority. Life centered around their four children, John, Mark, Beth and Jane along with their spouses, their four grandchildren and extended family members.
The permanently endowed fund, established in August 2006 with the Greater Saint John Community Foundation, will benefit a wide variety of charitable causes in Greater Saint John annually. It acknowledges his contributions since the 1960’s when he was a Commission member and later, as Chair of the Saint John Harbour Bridge Commission. It has been generously donated by the Saint John Harbour Bridge Authority with a $25,000 gift.
The Sweet Caroline Foundation was established in remembrance of Caroline Lorette, who tragically passed away at the age of 14 after having an allergic reaction to dairy.
The Foundation’s name reflects Caroline herself, as Caroline was truly a sweet and wonderful girl of whom her parents, Janet and David Lorette, and her sister Katherine, could think of no better way to remember their Sweet Caroline than to establish a Foundation that continues her legacy while helping to create a safer place for those living with allergies. In Caroline’s sweet memory, they persevere.
The Sweet Caroline Foundation is dedicated to:
- promoting allergy and anaphylaxis education and awareness;
- improving the quality of life for young adults and children who suffer from allergies and anaphylaxis; and
- awarding financial assistance to students who promote awareness of allergy and anaphylaxis;
The Sweet Caroline Foundation is entrusting endowed funds to the Community Foundation, and establishing The Sweet Caroline Fund to ensure this work will continue in perpetuity.
Annual earnings from the Sweet Caroline Fund shall be used in support of the ongoing operations and purposes of the Sweet Caroline Foundation and to provide bursaries and grants for local students, awarded in Caroline’s name.
Suzanne Doyle-Yerxa retired after thirty-five years of teaching, 31 of them spent at Kennebecasis Valley High. Former students Jeff McAloon, Mark Bishop, Chris Leveille and Brad Stanley are establishing a lasting legacy in her honour. She is well-known for her commitment to the Performing and Creative Arts, key roles in the production of dozens of dramatic and musical productions and creation of several performing arts-related groups.
The founders of the Suzanne Doyle-Yerxa Awards took their enriching high school experiences in the arts with them as they continued their studies and began careers, as an educator, Multimedia CEO, designer/ performer and financial advisor.
Suzanne Doyle-Yerxa clearly recalls her first day teaching 35 years ago and what a thrill it was. The Boston native states she still feels that sense of excitement and reward from her English and journalism teaching career.
KV High musicals and drama, the KV Players, children’s summer theatre and music camps and Kidsing, for younger children, all were profoundly associated with Suzanne Doyle-Yerxa. She received the 2008 Premier’s Award for Excellence in Education for inspiring students in “Developing a Passion for Learning” and conceived of the new “Gallery of Arts” to recognize KV grads with arts-related careers. Mark Bishop will be the first inductee.
A love of the creative and performing arts and intent to pursue studies in that field will be the key elements in the selection of two KV High grads as annual winners of the $500 awards.
A permanently endowed fund, entrusted to The Community Foundation, was launched for it recently. It will generate annual income for the awards. The groups are pleased it is inspiring other supporters to contribute and encourage donations of any size.
Known as the Lancaster Kiwanis Steel Band in the 70’s, the Super Steel Band was a popular act at many local events and provided musical experiences for dozens of young musicians over the years. The Board has established a permanent fund to help post-secondary music students with an annual $1,000 bursary.
Chris Cook, treasurer of the band’s board, says that local talent will continue to be nurtured, regardless of the post-secondary institution’s location, “We have also provided for the possible future reincarnation of a steel band in the agreement and financial support for it.”
Community Foundation chairman, Lino Celeste, praised the Lancaster Kiwanis Club, the original patrons of the Lancaster Kiwanis Steel Band, “Service clubs like the Lancaster Kiwanis are a valuable asset to our community.
Our foundation has shown our appreciation for all the work they contribute to our quality of life,” he commented.
The sixty-one, high-quality hand-crafted drums required special skills to create and were purchased in the mid-80’s to replace the earlier pans when Mr. Smith and Bob Scott took on a search for the best instruments.
Rather than break up the collection, the Super Steel Board are hopeful a local volunteer, with music experience, will come forward to revitalize the Caribbean sound in its entirety.
“We would like nothing better than to find someone who could breathe new life into the pans and create a great experience for a group of budding young musicians,” says President Janice Dickson.
The board of directors of Saint John Super Steel Inc., which for seventeen years has overseen a local steel band for youth, established a $21,000 fund in December of 2002, The Super Steel Band Bursary Fund, with The Greater Saint John Community Foundation.
Saint John has long been a place where creative souls have found their inspiration. From actors and painters, to storytellers and musicians – Saint John has been home to some of our country’s greatest talents.
One of Saint John’s most famous native sons is Stompin’ Tom Connors. Connors’ songs built on experiences from his life in Saint John, his time living in PEI, and then his experiences hitchhiking across Canada at age 15.
Stompin’ Tom’s cross-Canada adventures and songs struck a chord with another Saint John native – Jason MacLean. A long-time Stompin’ Tom fan, MacLean felt a connection to the troubadour and wanted to honour how he overcame many challenges and obstacles in his life to go on and become a success across Canada.
The Stompin’ Tom Connors Fund was established in 2009, and provides support to children and single parents who are growing up, and living in, challenging socio-economic conditions.
St. Barnabas Chapel of Ease was constructed on Sandy Point Road in 1887 and has served the faithful in the environs of Millidgeville for more than a century. Even before the church was constructed, a Sunday School and services in private homes or the outdoors were offered to the community.
The St. Barnabas Chapel of Ease Fund will preserve and pass on the heritage and story of this historic place of worship, along with good works, through annual earnings from this permanently endowed Fund.
Supported financially, morally and physically by St. Paul’s Church, the land was given by David and Olive Peacock. Benjamin Roden designed the chapel and it was built by James Taylor, along with the help of many community volunteers.
The chapel is of an architectural style frequently used in Anglican churches of the era. It has the original, handcrafted wood paneling and pews in the interior, along with stained glass windows and seats about 100 people.
The first service was conducted by Rev. Canon DeVeber, rector of St. Paul’s, assisted by Rev. AJ Reid, on November 18, 1887. Over the years, generous donors provided the bell (which remains today), windows, a brass lectern, offertory plates, altar adornments, the cross, candleholders, an organ, prayer books, the communion rail, pews, a new foundation, the furnace and lighting.
Since 1990, the Saint John Theatre Company has had a hand in growing the performing arts community in Saint John. From its early days as a small group of interested individuals the idea was always to create something that every great city has – a thriving theatre company.
In the decades since its inception, the Saint John Theatre Company has flourished in the Port City, making it one of the largest and most prolific theatre organizations in the region.
In the years since its launch, the Company has remained focused on three key goals, which include: developing and promoting local talent; playing a vital role in the development of the professional theatre industry in Southern New Brunswick; and helping to make the community a better place to live.
In 2015, the Board of Saint John Theatre Company’s established the Saint John Theatre Company “Staging the Future Fund” with The Community Foundation. The purpose of the endowment is support various projects and the operations of the Theatre Company in perpetuity.
By entrusting funds with the Community Foundation, the Saint John Theatre Company has set forth a long-term approach to ensuring the sustainability and vitality of the Company.
In 2003, the Saint John Law Society established a $10,000 permanently endowed Bursary Fund with The Greater Saint John Community Foundation.
“The lawyers in our Society want to offer support to young people in our community,” says Christopher Titus, President of the Saint John Law Society, “and encourage them to further their education.”
The fund provides an annual award of $500 at spring graduation to a deserving Saint John Area High School graduate planning to attend any post-secondary educational institution.
An appreciation of the development and interconnections of religion, culture, family and business in Saint John’s Jewish community within our community at large has been enhanced for locals and visitors. The mandate of the Saint John Jewish Historical Museum is to collect, display, preserve articles related to Saint John’s Jewish community, educate and provide a research facility for genealogists, historians, and religious scholars.
The Saint John Jewish community dates to 1858, with the arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Solomon Hart from England. He opened a tobacco business and his community minded wife founded the Daughters of Israel, the beginning of a long tradition of socially minded Jewish groups. They opened the doors of the first synagogue in 1898 on Carleton St., an area where many Jewish families resided.
The Jewish cemetery in East Saint John was already well established and is still in use today. A second wave of immigrants from Eastern Europe, escaping persecution, joined them; spreading along Main Street and within three generations went from peddlers to merchants to professionals. A second and third synagogue opened as the years and religious practices evolved. Jewish families numbered over two hundred by the 1960’s.
The Jewish community contributed greatly to cultural, economic, social and charitable life in Saint John. They gave back to their own and the community at large through many organizations such as Sisterhood, Hadassah, Young Judaea, Young Men’s/Women’s Hebrew Association, B’nai B’rith, Jewish Community Players, Boy Scouts, Cubs, Girl Guides, Brownies as well as Red Cross, Kiwanis and Lions clubs. The Shaarei Zedek Synagogue on Carleton Street was a beehive of activity with services and the Hebrew School.
Marcia Koven gave twelve years to the Museum as its first curator. UNB recognized the merit of her research and collections and encouraged her during advanced studies. The Jewish Community Centre on Wellington Row shared space as her work expanded from collecting oral history to photos, records and artifacts, earning her an award in 1987 from the American Association of State and Local History.
Attendance and operating hours expanded as tourists, families searching local roots, group tours from cruise ships, local schools, churches, and social organizations became supporters. Financing the operation of a museum is not for the faint of heart. Government and charitable grants were a great help as gifts of artifacts and cash came from the Jewish community at
home and abroad.
Permanent displays include the Hebrew School classroom, and “From The Cradle to the Grave” - a display focusing on the community’s history, religious practices and traditions. Changing displays explore aspects of the Jewish community’s lives and contributions: weddings, World War II service men and women, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, local businesses, artists such as Herzl Kashetsky, David Silverberg, Dr. M.I. Polowin and Josh Beutel and notables like film mogul Louis B. Mayer; Judge Benjamin R. Guss; Mayor Samuel Davis, and Senator Erminie Cohen.
An annual Holocaust remembrance service features a guest speaker, usually a Holocaust survivor. Dr. McGahan is emphatic about the calibre and value of such outreach programs as a way to promote tolerance and understanding. The Jewish Museum’s award winning library contains books in English, Hebrew, and Yiddish covering many aspects of Judaism and a significant collection of books on the Holocaust. The Louis I. Michelson Archives houses a wide variety of community records, which has also been preserved by the Provincial Archives.
The Jewish Museum welcomes contributions to their collections. They developed and loan Jewish Educational Outreach Kits for students and churches about the Jewish religion, way of life and to create understanding, and partner with high schools. They explain: Sabbath, Rosh Hashanah / Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Chanukah, Purim, Passover, Jewish Lifecycles, and the Holocaust.
Saint John’s Jewish Community took a momentous step, relocating the Synagogue and Museum to a heritage property at 91 Leinster Street, once renowned as the Peters and Emerson homes, and later, Castle Funeral Home. Katherine Biggs-Craft states: “Having a new home has generated new interest in sustaining the community that remains. There is a cautious optimism that the community may grow in the coming years.”
In the mid-1980’s Marcia Freedman Koven embarked on a heritage project that changed her life and recognized our area’s Jewish community and its special place in our history. It has inspired many who have moved on from Saint John but trace their roots here.
Serving the Saint John Jewish Historical Society today are: Dr. Joseph Arditti, President; Gary Davis, Vice- President; A. Lloyd Goldsmith, Past President, Sandra Levine, Treasurer; Katherine Biggs-Craft, recording secretary & Curator; Rolf Duschenes, Neil Franklin, Teresa Goldsmith, Rev. Dr. Philip Lee and Dr. Elizabeth McGahan.
The Jewish Community invites the public to visit them each December to celebrate the lighting of the menorah for Chanukah. There is no admission fee and Museum membership is modest. Donations to The Saint John Jewish Historical Museum Fund are welcomed and gratefully accepted. For information and group tours call 633-1833.
How to Give
Contributors who wish to support the Saint John Jewish Historical Fund are welcome to augment through the Greater Saint John Community Foundation.
In 2003 an experienced and energetic group of community volunteers saw an opportunity for a new event which would benefit the community. The committee developed a strategy and with the support of both the city and the province, they won the right to host the 2006 Canadian Country Music Awards.
The group included: David G. Ryan, Chairman; Andrew Logan, C.A. Treasurer; C.P. Theriault, Sponsorship; Andrew Beckett, Logistics; Mike Caddell, Debbie Rathwell, Marketing; Beth Richardson, Production; Jennifer and Glenn Ingersoll, Conference Events; Ron Lockhart, Public Events; Dick Daigle, Communications & Protocol; Brent Mason, Artist Relations & New Initiatives; Wallace Floyd, Government Relations and Trevor Pierce, Gala Dinners. Staff who later came on board were Wendy Connors-Beckett, Event Coordinator; Nancy Moar, Marketing Specialist; Joanne Gormley, Office Manager and Cruise for Country Coordinator; and Stephanie Valcour, accountant.
The Canadian Country music awards, a major logistical and planning challenge, was held from September 9-12, 2006. It included all aspects of a music industry association event. There were seminars, international delegations, songwriters circles, workshops, community outreaches, gala dinners, industry awards, and gospel shows, all culminated with a live televised awards show, the only Canadian show broadcast live in both Canada and the US.
The four day event drew the major stars of the Canadian country music scene, along with industry executives, international stars, and fans from North America and beyond to the Port City.
With Saint John as host, the event meant significant tourism and economic benefits to our region. The local committee saw the potential benefits the show could bring to the city which led to advance negotiations with the Canadian Country Music Association and an agreement, which stipulated that, if a surplus occurred, a portion would remain in Greater Saint John as a legacy.
It is because of the foresight of this volunteer group, the work of the committee, the staff, the association and the volunteers from around our region, that the 2006 Canadian Country Music Awards were an outstanding success. A surplus resulted, and true to their plan and intent, the Committee has entrusted this fund for the benefit of Greater Saint John with the help of the Greater Saint John Community Foundation.
The Saint John Country Music Week Legacy Fund has been established by the committee with music in mind. Earnings from the fund will provide scholarships to graduating local high school students who are pursuing post-secondary studies in music. Earnings will also be directed to music programs in local school districts, to be determined by a committee annually.
The Selection Committee will be comprised of some members of the original volunteer committee, as well as representatives knowledgeable about music programs in local schools and from the NB Competitive Festival of Music.
Louise grew up on Mount Pleasant Avenue in what later became the home of K.C. Irving. She spent many happy summers on the St. John River at the family lodge on Caton’s Island. Louise’ father, Howard Robinson, was an influential figure in the couple’s lives. As a successful entrepreneur, businessman, mentor and friend of well-known public figures of the forties and fifties, Mr. Robinson was inducted into Junior Achievement New Brunswick’s Business Hall of Fame in 2004. The Financial Post listed him as the 10th most influential and powerful businessman of his time. The Atlantic Business Magazine placed him in their all-time top twenty Atlantic business leaders as “an innovative competitor in the emerging radio and television industry, pulp and paper, energy, print media and telecommunications sectors” ... on whose shoulders latter-day industrial giants stood.
During the Second World War, Lieutenant Commander Black served almost six years in the Royal Canadian Navy which included three years to the Royal Navy in Brittain, the Mediterranean and the Middle East and in minesweeping operations on Halifax convoy approaches. Later, Commander Black served for five years, as Commanding Officer of HMCS Brunswicker, the New Brunswick Naval Reserve’s Training Division.
After the war, his naval career presented opportunities to continue to serve his country as aide de camps to two New Brunswick Lieutenant Governors, the Honourable Leonard O’Brien and the Honourable D.L. MacLaren and briefly, for Governor General, His Excellency Major General, the Honourable Georges Vanier. Commander and Mrs. Black had many interesting experience as they accompanied the Vice Regal representatives to special events.
They both knew and admired Lord Beaverbrook. Louise has many childhood memories of him and his frequent visits back to his native New Brunswick and gatherings with her father and other luminaries of the era. Mr. Black recalls being with Lieutenant Governor O’Brien for Lord Beaverbrook’s eightieth birthday at a North End school in Saint John where he addressed several hundred children. Many of them benefited from the Lord Beaverbrook Rink he donated to the community’s children.
Roland and Louise Black were united in marriage in 1945 at St. Paul’s Church on Garden Street in Saint John, New Brunswick. They made a handsome couple, he, as a distinguished naval officer, and she, as a beautiful young woman with deeply rooted New Brunswick family ties. Natives of Saint John, the Blacks have made it their life-long home.
Mr. and Mrs. Black were part of the Vice Regal Party when Governor General Georges and Mme. Vanier came to Saint John in the sixties. They have vivid memories of touring the Byng Boys building on Milford Road in Saint John West before it was destroyed by fire.
Mr. Black describes his membership in a unique veterans group, the “Byng Boys Club” as bittersweet. The group was founded to honour His Excellency Governor General Julian Byng, a respected and beloved World War I General. The Byng Boys have surpassed the eighty-five year mark, but its veteran members are becoming fewer as time progresses. In 2007, they decided to disband, donating a substantial collection of memorabilia and World War I and World War II artifacts to Canadian museums for posterity.
Over the course of the post war years, technology brought many rapid changes. Throughout an extensive business career, Mr. Black, with Louise’s support, demonstrated an amazing talent for identifying business ventures in new and undeveloped sectors. The telecommunications sector, particularly the telephone, was evolving quickly. Companies were requiring a presence around the clock, seven days a week. Mr. Black’s venture, Telephone Answering Service, responded to this need. For over twenty-five years, it grew and flourished.
He was a pioneer in the Human Resource field, recognizing that many businesses had needs for
temporary personnel. Filling human resource requirements in skills development, testing, training and temporary work, he spawned his company “Office Overload” into an active Canadian company with over one hundred staff.
The Blacks have had an abiding interest and love of music throughout their lives. It wasn’t expected that it would lead to yet another successful venture. Many commercial locations were attracted to the concept of background music. It became popular in hotels, elevators, offices, lobbies, etc. and came to be known as “Muzak.” “Timing is everything,” adds Mr. Black. It was a key element in his many successful business ventures over the years.
The Blacks have a son, Dr. John R. Black, who earned a Doctor of Science in Engineering at M.I.T. and has followed in his father’s footsteps as an outstanding businessman. For some years, John and his family resided in Pennsylvania. They now make their home in Chicago, where he holds a senior management position with the Aluminium Company of America.
The Blacks successfully combined recreation and business for many years as they pursued their love of sailing and made many American sailing friends. Boating took them up and down the Atlantic coast, where they spent many summers. Louise acquired substantial sailing skills, even taking part on long ocean cruises to Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean, and was noted for her abilities at a time when few women achieved such expertise.
Over the years, Mr. Black was also involved and contributed his volunteer time to community endeavors. He served as a director of the New Brunswick / Prince Edward Island Corps of Commissionaires, was a director of the YM-YWCA, the Tuberculosis Association (East Saint John Hospital), the Royal Kennebecasis Yacht Club and the Old Port Cove Yacht Club of Palm Beach.
Mr. and Mrs. Black continue to generously support charitable causes in the community they love through the permanently endowed Roland and Louise Black Fund which was entrusted to the Greater Saint John Community Foundation in December, 2006.
Robert Callandar Wyse was born on May 11, 1933 in Hamilton, Ontario to English and Scottish parents. An elder brother, Norton, was born in Edinburgh. The family emigrated from Scotland to Toronto in 1931, where they lived until returning to Edinburgh in 1939. Bob was educated at George Watson’s Boys College, and in 1949 at age 16, he joined the army and was posted into the Royal Engineers to be trained as an army surveyor.
He spent 18 ½ years in the army going on survey missions from the UK to the Middle East, Aden and South Arabia, as a corporal. After being promoted to Staff Sergeant he went back to the Far East, Borneo and Singapore, then back to Aden and the Arab Emerates. Bob arrived back in the UK in 1967, and at his request, was honourably discharged from the army.
Bob returned to Canada in late September of 1967 and his brother, Norton, met him in Montreal, then onto Toronto, where Norton and his wife Joyce had their home. Once settled, Bob had no trouble finding work with Toronto surveying companies. In 1976, Metro Toronto hired him in its Corporate Land Services Department, where he stayed for 19 years, until his retirement in 1995. In 1991, Bob was admitted to the Association of Ontario Land Surveyors and to the branch of Professional Land Surveying known as Geodesy.
With his mischievous, friendly outlook Bob had many friends, but while he never married, he did have a couple of close calls. He loved children and was godfather to Stefanie, the daughter of close friends in Toronto.
In 2003, Bob moved to Saint John to be near Joyce and Norton. In January 2004, he took up residence in Marysview Seniors Facility in Hampton, where for the next nine years he was well looked after by its kind and caring staff.
In December 2005, after much consideration, Bob willed that the bulk of his estate be delivered to The Greater Saint John Community Foundation to be set aside and held by it in perpetuity as the “Robert Callandar Wyse Trust Fund”.
The earnings, from the fund of $350,000, is to be used for the benefit of charities supported by the Foundation with special consideration given to those serving the needs of under privileged or handicapped children and the needs of senior citizens. On Thursday, September 26, 2013, at age 80, Robert Wyse passed away suddenly at the Saint John Regional Hospital.